Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form

About the Park

← Back to Departments Overview

RYE TOWN PARK & BEACH: ABOUT THE PARK

To Learn about the park's history see State of New York Legislature - Which began on January 2, 1907:
Historical Document Volume 11

HISTORY

Rye Town Park was established in 1907 by an act of the New York Legislature. The main buildings were completed in 1909. Generations of families have made happy memories at the park and beach over the more than 100 years of its operation.  The entire park was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 18, 2003.  Rye Town Park is a public park! You don't have to be a resident of Rye City, Rye Town, Port Chester or Rye Neck to visit.  

The sixty-two acre preserve has 28 acres of lawns and paths with mature plantings, gently rolling hills, benches, a naturalized duck pond, and the park has an expansive beachfront of 34 acres.

The main building complex, which includes the two-towered administration building, pavilions, restaurant and service facilities, is a magnificent edifice with Spanish style architecture, fantastic views, and beach access to Long Island sound. 

ABOUT THE PARK

The sixty-two acre preserve on Long Island Sound has 28 acres of lawns and paths with mature plantings, gently rolling hills, benches, a naturalized pond, and expansive beachfront with swimming area of 34 acres.  Many of the park’s trees and shrubs have been identified with their common and Latin names. After dark several of the park paths are illuminated by old-fashioned streetlights.

The Friends of Rye Town Park was established in 1991 to restore the park's landscape and work to preserve its beauty and historic significance for the enjoyment and recreation of the community.  In 2013 they sponsored an inventory of the park's trees and shrubs.  As of November 2015  there are 327 -- 58 species in 37 genera.

With help from Bartlett Tree Experts, the Friends has established a long-range management plan.  Visit their web site for more information.  www.friendsofryetownpark.com

Park rangers are on duty from April through October to insure the safety and security of park visitors.  They are also able to provide assistance and answer questions.

The main building complex, which includes the two-towered administration building, pavilions, restaurant and service facilities, is a magnificent edifice with Spanish style architecture, fantastic views, and beach access to Long Island Sound.

During the "In Season" there are three sets of bathrooms. Bathrooms can be accessed from the beach near the north and south gates. There is a set of bathrooms in the park near Seaside Johnnie’s restaurant that can be accessed from the park or the beach. People leaving the beach to use these bathrooms will get a wrist band so they can return without charge.

Admission to the beach is open to everyone. Residents of Rye City, Port Chester, Rye Brook and Rye Neck may purchase discounted season permits, which provide significant savings for parking and beach access. Non-residents can also purchase season permits, for higher fees.  Daily admission fees are available for residents and non-residents, as well.

The Park’s “in season” begins on the Friday before Memorial Day and runs daily through Labor Day. Weather permitting, lifeguards will be on duty and the beach will be open for swimming.

The parking entrance to Rye Town Park is located on Dearborn Avenue, east of Forest Avenue.